I’d like to thank Jessica M of ellDimensional for nominating me for a Liebster Award!
The Liebster Award is a way of recognizing and discovering other bloggers, and speaking as someone with a background in social media marketing I really appreciate it. It’s networking and being nice at the same time! I’ve seen nomination posts before and usually made a point of browsing the lists of links for new blogs to follow.
And now follows the questionnaire. I’ll present 11 facts about myself, then answer my nominator’s personal 11 questions, and write 11 new questions for whoever I choose to nominate. Nominees aren’t obligated to respond, just know that I think your blog is cool.
11 Facts about Myself:
- I am an older sister, with one brother.
- I can bake a really awesome cherry pie even without having pie cherries.
- I am a
- When applying for college, I aimed for all Midwest and East Coast schools because I wanted to be far away from home and my comfort zone for a while.
- I attended a weekly meditation group for several months a couple years ago, and really want to get back into the habit. Still trying.
- I try to write every day! It doesn’t have to be creative writing. I will also count journaling and blogging.
- I am not afraid of heights, but I am afraid of depths.
- When I had swimming lessons as a kid, I was irrationally convinced that there were sharks in the deep end.
- Jaws is one of my favorite movies. (Seven, eight, and nine may or may not all be connected.)
- I dislike jump-scares but otherwise really enjoy horror movies.
- I did not see the point of Ashton Kutcher until I started watching That 70’s Show.
11 Questions I have to answer
- How old were you when you began writing? — I guess it was… sometime in elementary school? I remember having a very active imagination as a kid and coming up with a lot of stories, but I’m not sure when I started putting them down on paper. It could have been anywhere between first and fifth grade. For a long time I was far more occupied with reading and had my nose in a book too often to write much down. But I know that in 7th grade I wrote a very elaborate curse and sent it in to a Harry Potter contest, and it was published in the Mercury News. That totally counts.
- If you could move anywhere, where would you go? — Right now, realistically, into a tiny house and park it somewhere in Oregon, but the where isn’t terribly crucial.I want to stay on the West Coast and my partner wants to be close to the ocean, so that works out. We both really, really want to be part of the tiny house community someday.
- Do you have a familiar–I mean, a pet? — Two of them! Well, sort of three, but the third belongs to my partner’s parents. We have a six year old chocolate lab gentleman who acts like a baby and an eight month old calico tortoiseshell
teenagerkitten who acts like the supreme grand high queen of the universe. The third is a eight (?) year old lab/golden retriever mix. She’s a sweetie, but also sneaky and a total instigator for mischief.
- What is your favorite book, and why? — I can’t pick a favorite, arghhh. I really like Sunshine by Robin McKinley, tons of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books, Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker series (radio series, TV series, and book series, in that order), Lev Grossman’s Magician series, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, World War Z by Max Brooks (just the book, not the movie), the Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix, and… lots of things by Neil Gaiman. I also owe a lot to reading Stephen King’s books as a kid.
- What are your other hobbies? — Baking, meditating, and making up new lyrics to songs that I hear a lot.
- If you become any age you wanted, what age would that be, and why? — I’d like to be 25 again for another several years, please. At age 27, I seem to have done something to throw my back off kilter. That’s really the only reason.
- If you could travel to any time or place, where would you go? — I think I’d want to visit the future briefly to see how things turn out. I’m not sure how far in the future, or where in particular.
- What is your strength? — I think it was in a book called Julie & the Wolves, but there’s this quote I remember reading sometime around third grade… Something like, if you find yourself too paralyzed to move forward, take a step in a different direction. I think my strength is always doing something, even if it doesn’t look like progress.
- Do you have any tattoos? — No, but if I did it would be a small turtle somewhere that doesn’t really hurt too much. Because I’m a baby about needles it’ll probably be a very simple line art design, like the honu petroglyphs in Hawaii.
- What is your favorite food/dish? — Either pizza or goat cheese. Or pizza with goat cheese.
- What is the most recent book you’ve read? — I recently re-listened to the audiobook of The Magician King, by Lev Grossman.
11 Questions for the Nominees
- What is your plan for the zombie apocalypse? If you don’t have one, give it a whirl.
- What is your favorite quote of all time?
- What is your guilty pleasure on television?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What/who is most important to you?
- What do you think is most wrong with this world?
- Why did you follow my blog?
- Where would you live in this world other than the country you live now and why?
- What makes you feel free?
- If you’re lost, how do you try and find yourself?
- What must you experience before your time is up?
And the Nominees are…
- Musing to Pieces
- The Caffeinated Writer
- Amusing 2 Write
- Julia Slaughter
- An Adventure in NaNoWriMo
- Creative Writing For Me
- Raychel Rose
- Writing and Musing
If you don’t want to participate, I totally understand. I just think you and your blog are pretty cool. Have a great day!